Friday, June 1, 2012

Lana Del Rey poster


I can finally reveal the rest of my illustration, after the sneaky peek of the eyes I posted earlier this week. I love Lana Del Rey's music, when I first heard her album Born to Die I was blown away and listened to it repeatedly.

This is my entry into a competition to design a concert poster for Lana's three night performance dates at the El Rey Theatre. Lana has a sort of vintage Hollywood glamour, so I wanted to evoke a 1950s silver screen siren feel to it. A lot of things (good and bad) have been written about her on the web, Twitter, etc, but in the 1950s newspapers were the main medium for tabloid scoops of famous figures. This led me to create the background with a newspaper feel of headlines taken from her lyrics.

I always like to push myself and try new things, and with this poster I had a go at adding some texture and grit to it.

Gritty texture to achieve a newspaper feel
And as with all projects, I started off with research and creating a mood board of pics.


4 comments:

  1. I have the biggest girl crush on Lana, the first song I heard of hers was Blue Jeans a while ago and I absolutely loved it - she rocks heaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I love that song, its one of my faves! :)

      Delete
  2. So I'm not the only one who thinks of 1940/50's tabloids when I see Lana; I, recently, did a collage inspired by her on my blog - check it out if you'd like. Anyways, I was googling "Marilyn Monroe tabloids" and I stumbled across your blog; which, I think is pretty darn great.

    Edward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Edward, glad you stumbled across my blog! Yeah, I totally feel the vintage tabloid vibe when I think of LDR - maybe because so much has been said about her online and on Twitter. And Twitter is sorta a modern version of tabloid newspapers.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...